Monday, July 15, 2013

Sometimes a Slow Learner

On a fairly regular basis I make it a point to stay out of the office for a morning or afternoon and hang out at a coffee place instead.  It's a good habit to have as a church leader.  But I'm always envious of the working professionals I see while I'm there who will stroll in, meet a friend or co-worker, and actually have coffee with that person or group.  What??  Who has time to get coffee AND enjoy it as well?

Just last Sunday the teaching was on the value of community and the practice of NOT doing life in solitude.  Once again, Monday rolls around, and I'm busy eating my words--alone at the coffee house.  Of course, I refuse to preach on a teaching that isn't directed at me as well, so this isn't all a bad thing.  But ultimately, it's still clear I have some learning to do.

It is important for me to be more community minded.  I need to be more focused on collaboration.  I need to find time to develop a network of similar professionals and seek out mentor relationships.  God is making this increasingly clear to me.

But sometimes I'm a slow learner.  Although I'd love to see what it's like to visit with friends and professionals on a regular basis at a coffee house or over lunch, I still haven't grasped the deeper value.  "How can I be a good leader if I'm spending all my time chatting with friends?"  I secretly wonder.

I'm clearly missing the point.  But at least I know that I'm not getting it.  The whole point of collaboration and working and living in community is that life and church and marriage and most any other thing we can consider are all meant to be shared initiatives.  Jesus never said, "If you work really hard and shut the rest of the world out, there I'll be as well."  Instead, Jesus says, "For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them" (Matthew 18:20).

The point is that there is significance in our efforts to be with one another, and Jesus assures us that as we draw together, he also will be there, side by side, contributing to the work of our hearts.

Of course there are times when we need to be alone.  Writing a blog while a friend sits at the table isn't the most successful approach.  But there are tons of other things that would be far more blessed if they weren't done alone.

So here's to drawing near to others!  Let's get going.

More to come!

Jason <><

1 comment:

  1. Do you think time spent on social media counts? I read on the UMCommunications Website that every pastor should be spending (I think if I remember correctly) 10 hours a week in social media. Your blog counts!
    Kathy Liebenguth

    ReplyDelete