Monday, October 21, 2013

Bigger Ears!

They say that a person's facial effects, specifically the nose and ears, never stop growing over a person's lifetime.  What a bizarre set up.  Why just those things?  Why do they need to keep growing at all?  I suppose if anything has to keep growing, it's better that just a couple things do rather than the whole head.  But it really doesn't make much sense.

I'm sure more than a few might be wondering why on a Monday morning, the thought of ears and noses is first on my mind.  There's a good reason.

I'm reading Isaiah currently, and today I landed on one of my favorite verses:  Isaiah 30:20-21.  Leading up to this verse are many instances of God intervening in the lives of the wayward peoples and nations.  There is much said of the destruction and discipline that God chooses to deploy in his anger.  From this we have to imagine there is a great deal of panic and fear in the hearts of those as they witnessed all this destruction.

But this what God says in the midst of it to bring peace to the faithful:  "Although the Lord gives you the bread of adversity and the water of affliction, your teachers will be hidden no more; with your own eyes you will see them.  Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, 'This is the way; walk in it.'"

I know that I can hear that voice fairly clearly already, but I cannot express how eagerly I desire to hear it even clearer, with even greater frequency.  This is my constant prayer.

So if it means that my ears need to grow a little larger in order to hear God's voice speaking in through the chaos, let them grow...  Let them grow!  Here's to bigger ears!

More to come!


Jason <><

No comments:

Post a Comment