Monday, May 5, 2014

When I Retire

Sarah and I were getting a good laugh this weekend as we observed an unchecked desire in me to be the friendliest person on the block.

Not only did I try to invite several out of town friends running the marathon to stay at our house the entire weekend, but several times Sarah also had to pull tight on my "leash" to keep me from running out to talk to yet another neighbor already in a conversation with company on their lawns.  "Jason, you can't just assume that they're wanting you to come over and interrupt and join their conversation."

Whether Sarah's right or not (apparently the verdict is still out), I'm pleased with this desire for community and putting people first that is surfacing in my life.  It hasn't always been as strong of a force for me.

For quite a bit of my college years I went through a fairly intense phase of believing only in the self-made, rugged, rock, island, independent, individual.  Community, support systems, and shared efforts were signs of weakness in my exploring mind.  There were days when I would profess that all good work was done only by the solitary efforts of one person's hands.

I thought not needing or relying on anyone else was a strong, confident, and capable way of living--and I thought God would surely bless this approach.

But life changes.  Yesterday morning in my HOME Group, Jerry asked me out of the blue what I'd do if today I discovered as I woke that I had entered into early retirement and wouldn't work another day.  My first internal response was that I'd just hang out at my new house, talk to the neighbors, and go see people.  Of course I told the rest of my group a little of this, but mixed in some wild plans to walk the Colorado and Appalachian Trials, learn to fly, etc...  just to assure the rest I wasn't too lame :-)

Yet as I look at how God has worked on and changed my heart and life, I am pleased to see my heart's yearning to be with people, to have and be immersed in community, and to find my strength and confidence in the love I can give and receive.  This is the signature of God's work in our lives.  And it is good.


More to come!

Jason <><


No comments:

Post a Comment