Monday, August 31, 2015

For the Love of Zombies

Just this last Saturday I was asked to be the official chauffer for my sister-in-law's bachelorette party in the Haymarket.  At one point during the night as I drove down to take the girls to another location, I was face-to-face with an amusing cross-section of our American culture.

Somehow the traffic signals had been reversed so that people were queued to walk across a busy street while cross-traveling vehicle traffic had a green light.  In a mass moment of confusion I pulled forward to take advantage of a green light in front of me only to find a large sea of walkers who were also determined to take advantage of their queue to walk across the street.  As I sat in my vehicle for my personal front-row seat to the show, I watched a peculiar mix of zombie fanatics on parade for Zombie Fest and of long line of spiritually renewed women leaving the Women of Faith conference at the arena.  The women walked across full of lively chatter and oblivious laughter, and the Zombies limped, dragged, flailed, and glared their similar paths across the street.

The women were completely unaware of my presence (small sedans are nothing compared to the freight train of the Holy Spirit), while the zombies were very aware of my presence.  I get it.  It's part of being a zombie.  Zombies glare.  Zombies want to take my life.  Zombies don't care about danger or inconveniences they might be causing.  They're free from caring about anything really.  At least that's what I've gathered from the shows I've seen.  I commend both parties for living into their parts quite well.  Yet, I struggled with the scene.

I've always loved Halloween.  I love scary movies, gore, fright, and scary stories.  I love haunted houses, and I love dressing up for the day.  It's fun!  It's festive.  It doesn't mean I worship evil or am supporting dark spirits.  So as I watched the zombie parade, a fair part of me wished I would've thought to attend Zombie Fest.  Yet, as I watched our zombie fanatics participate in the massive parade of the living dead, I was struck by how popular this trend has become and how heart-captivating it is as I watched even small children walk with their parents in line dressed as dead people.  What is it about zombies that cause us to desire, glorify, and uplift the lifestyle of the living dead?  How is the concept of being dead inside yet still being animated and driven only to destroy other life so attractive compared to the lifestyle of the One who says I will carry your burden and make your load light and give you life everlasting, though you may parish, you shall have everlasting life and be with me in paradise?

It's funny how life works oftentimes, and how we as humans respond.  Hopelessness often feels more comfortable and attractive than hope.  Hope is hard to keep a hold of; hope is demanding of our attention and our efforts; hope often seems to disappoint us; hope rarely guarantees we'll be taken care of along the way or that the path will be easy; hope often requires us to make changes in our lives if we wish to still have it within us.  Conversely, the life of a zombie requires little, if anything at all, is accountable to none, has few cares or goals, leaves little to be disappointed about, and yet has a remarkable amount of power and control over others.  The life of a zombie, for many who are burdened, overrun, and tired of the weight of life, seems VERY refreshing.  If we can't seem to fit into the world, the march, and the lifestyle of the majority, we might as well fit into something that works and won't so quickly kick us to the curb--even if it means we don't truly have life within us.

And so, for the sake of reflection I offer this:  faith, hope, belief in a living God, and a relationship with the savior are not easy.  Sometimes people get their own pursuits wrong and try to exclude others from similar pursuits.  Yet, the pursuit is worth it; it truly is the only way, the only truth, the only life that fills us overfilling.  It does take time, it does take effort, it will involve pain.  But it's worth it.  It's good.

To my zombie-loving friends, I get it.  It really can just be for fun.  I may also choose to dress like a zombie someday.  It's a pretty easy costume to put together.  But to all my friends, don't let your hope dwindle to the point that accepting failure feels like a better option.  Keep going.  Keep seeking.  Keep striving.  This life that Christ offers us really is all good.

More to come!

Jason <><




No comments:

Post a Comment