Monday, August 27, 2012

Hey, YOU Asked! Q&A #2

Last week I had a chance to reflect on some of my fears, based on a question asked to me on my questions card.  What a scary task that was!  This week I'll go through several questions.  Perhaps life is about answering questions.  But perhaps life is about living through questions that teach us and cause us to grow through asking more questions.  Does that make any sense?


  1. "Do you have any pets?  Do you like animals?"

    Yes and yes!  Of course, as I stated last week, I have a healthy respect for animals, especially if I believe a particular animal has a secret motive to bite me.  Animals are great teachers, companions, and distractions (whether wild or domesticated).  I like big dogs that like to run.  I like cats most of all.  I became the owner of my cat Gizmo (grey, medium haired female, about 7 yrs) about 2 years ago now.  She came to me, pre-named, by way of being passed off from house to house for the last months.  Her owner was suffering from many addictions in his life, and his body was beginning to shut down.  He didn't have a permanent home and spent most of his time in and out of the hospital.  The one constant in his life was his friend Gizmo.  No matter which hospital or friend's apartment he was in, he could count on Gizmo being allowed to come on the weekends and sitting on his chest.  Gizmo is a very affectionate cat and prefers to cuddle, but she's also very timid and easily frightened.  She had worn out her welcome at all of her owner's friends' places, and was currently staying in a locked bathroom in a basement until her weekend stays at the hospital.  That's the point at which I was approached with the simple, rushed words, "do you need a cat!?"  I knew Sarah wanted a cat, but I told her that there was no getting one until we were married.  But here was my opportunity.  I said yes, as it was labeled a "temporary" situation until her owner could get better.  Gizmo came and lived with me on the weekdays and with her owner on the weekends.  That lasted for 4 months until her owner's body eventually gave away.  Since then, Gizmo has grieved, but moved on.  She's much less clingy these days, but still loves to be close, held, and played with.  She keep Sarah and me smiling and laughing, and honestly, she has been one of the greatest gifts to me--a patient, furry, vessel of God's eminent love for me.
  2. "What motivates you?"

    Challenges motivate me--whether they are of the "impossible" nature or of the "daunting" nature, I tend gravitate toward the things that shouldn't be possible, or that look rather difficult.  This applies to my faith, to church, to my personal hobbies and free time.  I'm a daredevil and an adrenaline seeker.  Sarah says I'm lucky to be alive.

    I'm also motivated by love.  Nothing is better than to have a chance to love someone else, to be loved by someone else, to help others love each other, and most powerfully, to see others find Jesus' love and a personal love for Jesus.

    Life in general motivates me.  I love the energy found in a crowd; I love the simple sight of people coming alive for a reason or a passion.  I love feeling alive--whether I'm running, skiing, hiking, driving, swimming, worshiping, praying, or driving with the windows down and the music (way) up.  I love being alive in Christ and my creator, feeling the Holy Spirit rushing through me like a hurricane.

    I am a worker and a servant, and so I am also motivated by getting things done and helping others!

I am surprised by how much I have written in just two responses.  I'll save a little for latter.  Thank you all for your love and passion last weekend for the Concert on the Hill!!


Jason <><

No comments:

Post a Comment