Monday, September 17, 2012

So (too?) Eager!

"Here!  Take my card!  Come see what it's like!"

That's what I keep shouting with excitement to others, and especially strangers, lately.  Sarah has made several notes about my new habit--commenting on the level of "smoothness" verses the level of "creapiness" or "sleezyness" in my approach, timing, and handoff.  

My what I like to call "church cards" finally came in last week, and I have been very eager to pass them out to others.  Obviously, there's little difference between my "church" card and a business card.  A lot of people would probably argue that the whole concept of handing out a card with contact information in regard to Church is altogether too much a business thing.  

But here's the deal:  I love my church cards.  They're attractive and useful, and I know that when others see them, they're going to see and find only good things!  But here's what I love even more than my cards:  Horizons.  

I don't know what people know about Horizons already or what they've already seen.  All I know is what I see right now, and I love it.  I love seeing and feeling how heavy, powerful, and productive the Spirit is in this place right now.  I love hearing on a daily basis how peoples' lives have been changed, reawakened, or affected in beautiful ways.  I love feeling the energy of passion, compassion, hope, and Christ-desire coming off of others as we worship, gather, and share together.  I love seeing where we're headed and where we can go because of the faith that is present.  

When I go to trainings and seminars for pastors, the speaker will often ask us whether, if we were free to choose and make our own call, we'd actually go to the churches where we serve.  It's a good and sometimes cutting question for pastors.  The answer is not always yes.  It makes each of us think.  But this is what I know for sure:  if Sarah and I were to go church shopping and pick where we wanted to go and grow, Horizons would be a top runner.  I'd go here!!  

Is it just because I have an enormous ego about my own pastor abilities?  Hardly.  I might be a little caught off guard by me if I were to walk in and see "that guy" being pastor.  What draws me most is seeing and feeling what's going on at Horizons and who's got it going on spiritually!

And so I get excited.  And when I run into someone, you can be guaranteed that whether it's appropriate or good timing at all, my church card will start flying out of my back pocket.  "Here!!  Take my card.  Come see what it's like!"

I am making no attempt to boast.  But honestly, I think this is how it's supposed to feel for all of us as Christ followers--so excited and convicted that we've simply lost the social filter that helps us see the right timing or appropriateness.  I firmly believe that when Jesus gets in and starts working in us, relighting our lives, we can't help but tell others!  

So join me!  There are a lot of free "business card" services online that will print cards for you. Share with others your faith, your Horizons home, your changed life.  Put your light on a hill and let it shine!

More to come...

J <>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment