Monday, September 10, 2012

Why Be Methodist? Top 3

It's not the first time someone has asked me why I am United Methodist, or why have I stayed in the Methodist system.  In fact, we used to ask each other all that time in seminary--often tauntingly, sometimes jokingly, and once in a while, quite seriously.

Why do I stay?  Why am I a United Methodist?  Lists seem to get to get the most views, so I'll proceed in such a manner.  But first, it might be helpful to note that if I can actually keep my list to three, I'll be demonstrating John Wesley's power to be concise and yet meaningful in his teachings.  If I fail to have just three, I'll rely on the grace upon which much of Wesley's theology also rested.


  1. I was born a Methodist, so why not??  Some have heard me say that I'll be Methodist until I have sufficient reason not to be.  But I suppose there might need to be more than that.
  2. Grace.  Wesley believed it was indeed true that the "grace was always greener on the other side."  We understand that there's God's grace before we know God, certainly as we accept Christ, and (which is rare) that after we are saved, the grace keeps growing in us, bringing us closer and closer to Christ.
  3. Free Will!  This is the idea that not everything is set in stone for our lives.  We make real choices that matter--to our lives,to others' lives, and certainly to our relationship with Jesus.  In fact, God's love for us and our love for God can only be real if there is this element of free choice.  (If love were forced, it defeats what love really is.)
  4. Care for our neighbor.  The Methodist Church is at the top of those who selflessly give, love, protect, and support others.  It's beautiful to see Jesus' parable of the good Samaritan be lived into so passioinately by a body of believers.
  5. In short, Wesley also believed in putting it simply:  Do Good. Do No Harm. Stay in Love with God.  He also proposed 4 sources or norms for our faith foundation:  Scripture, Tradition, Experience, and Reason.  I'd put prayer in there too, but I wasn't asked. This is a list of where we go for direction, what's our foundation, and what lenses we look through to view the world and our faith.  Lastly, Wesley also said concerning money:  Earn all you can, save all you can, give all you can.  Brilliant!
  6. But the REAL question is, why not believe in all the Wesley stuff, but leave the rest behind?  (especially if it makes me move to new places even if I don't want to.)  Truth is:  the Methodist church nurtured and supported my faith from the day I was said to be "9 months away."  If it weren't for that kind of love, I don't know what kind of pastor I would be.  It was the church that walked with me until I saw my call.  It was the church who journeyed along my side as I learned what it meant to be a pastor.  It listened to me, taught and challenged me, it supported me with tens of thousands of dollars for my education, it embraced me, trusted me, gave me opportunities, and has always made sure that I am still growing and still being challenged.  I don't know how others might see it, but what I just described reminds me a lot of how Jesus would be like if he were among us today in person.
  7. Finally:  My response to how I feel about not being able to decide how long I'll stay at a church or where I'll go next is as follows.  I knew from the beginning it would be like this.  Personally I desire it, although I know it has the potential to make things harder painful for a season.  But the way I see it is that this is my opportunity to give my life fully to Christ, to trust that God is fully in control of my call, and to see myself more as a missionary, being sent and serving wherever, rather than me choosing what I believe is the absolute best for me.  
Wesley always said to his congregations:  to "Think and let think."  It refers to the open community of thoughts and spiritual intuitions that are allowed to thrive in a place of diversity and unity both.  As you can see, I like it, and have thought and thought and thought--although it might be different from what another Methodist pastor may think.

J <><

No comments:

Post a Comment