Monday, November 12, 2012

I MUST get in a HOME Group!

How could anyone imagine what a HOME group (aka "small group") would do to a person's life until finally joining one?  I couldn't.  I had no idea.  However, while I once was blind, now, I see!

What happens in a HOME Group is quite phenomenal to see.  On Sunday mornings, I meet with a group of men who gather before the services to share, pray, and study scripture together.  They may not formally call themselves a HOME Group, but they should.  These guys have it going on!

At first, my concept, and most likely the concept of many as they decided to try it out, was that this Sunday morning men's group might be a good way to get into the scripture a little more and meet some other guys as well.  But that's only the beginning.  Over the last weeks, I have been utterly blown away by the camaraderie, faith, and trust of this group.  They say that women share their feelings and develop close relationships much easier and quicker than men do, but this group disrupts all the norms.

The men in this group are willing and able to share everything on their hearts and minds.  Each guy brings his honesty, heartbreak, joy, laughter, rowdy humor, prayer, questioning, witnessing, teaching, arguing, and life change to the group, and no one is forcing each other. They are friends, they are brothers, and their faith relationships are growing.

So now I see what being a part of a HOME  Group means and why it has been a foundation for Horizons from the beginning.  A HOME Group is probably one of the most authentically holy places I could imagine being, and I've seen how much it means to those who belong.  As Sarah and I continue to get more settled and make it through the first 6 months here, we both are very excited to see how we help start and join new HOME Groups too!


More to come!


Jason <><


No comments:

Post a Comment