Monday, December 10, 2012

Swift Kicks, Strong Pushes

I'm a firm believer in the Holy Spirit's ability to work and move in our lives.  In fact, I don't know what life would look like for a person of faith if he or she didn't have an acknowledgment of the Holy Spirit. Whether we are consciously aware or not of the spirit's moving, I know that we are each affected daily by it.

But I'm also pretty sure about the other things I'm daily affected by as well.  For two weeks now, I've been teaching on the topic of preparing the way for our celebration of Christ's birth.  Just yesterday I challenged each of us NOT to do anything this season that will consequently take us away from this nearing celebration and the presence of Jesus.  I mentioned it being nearly impossible, but to what degree is yet to be told.

Paul shares in Romans 7:15, "For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do."

This seems to be true in many of our lives.  I know it is in mine at the moment.  I want to step back from the rush of the season and honor the most important things in my life.  I want to let all the "extras" go in light of the "main thing" becoming greater.  I do truly desire these things, and am quite set on getting there.

However, we all know the flip side:  I'll get there AS SOON as I finish...  I know what's most important, but THIS simply cannot be ignored...  I don't really have a choice...  Sometimes, the more we push for what's good in our lives, the more we feel the opposition pushing back.  Sometimes it may even feel like a swift kick from behind that shoves us farther away from where God is wanting us to go.

So what do we do?  What will I do?

Pray more.  Let the Holy Spirit be the strongest pusher.  Let go of my stubbornness.  Trust in God in a way that brings assurance to the things I let go of.  Seek peace over perfection.  Stop making excuses and ultimatums.

After all, we'all far too busy, misguided, and challenged NOT to pray and spend more time in the Spirit's guiding. Is it impossible to do nothing that would take me away from our nearing celebration of Christ's birth from here on out?  I believe it can happen!


More to come!

Jason <><

No comments:

Post a Comment