Monday, January 21, 2013

If I Were Wiser

Much of our lives is spent wishing we could do things the right way and working toward getting things right.  We want to find balance, we want to handle crisis well, we want to approach our faith in the right way, we want to have healthy work habits so we don't get overworked.  We want to be better contributors in our families and marriages, and we want to find ways to make and save money better so we don't have to worry as much.  We want to be better friends, find better friends, and develop healthier dieting and exercising practices.  

I can think of yet many other things I'd like to do better.  Of course simply doing things better isn't that easy. If it is, I just must be very distracted.  Clearly, it takes wisdom to arrive at healthier balances, better practices, and smarter habits.  Wisdom is the patient practice of hindsight, insight, foresight, awareness, discernment  and love.

So, all we really need is more wisdom, and the rest will follow.  It sounds good to me.  But where does wisdom come from?  From failing, from listening, from observing, from learning from others, from processing, from praying, from laughing, from studying, from loving, and from having the wisdom to grow from each.  So where does this wisdom start?

Proverbs 2:1-6 says, "My son, accept my words and store up my commands. Turn your ear toward wisdom, and stretch your mind toward understanding.  Seek it like silver, search for it like hidden treasure.  Then you will understand the fear of the Lord, and discover the knowledge of God.  The Lord gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding."

If I were wiser, I'd spend even more time with God than I already do.


More to come!


Jason <><


No comments:

Post a Comment