Monday, September 21, 2015

To Retire or Not to Retire

If any readers saw the title of this post and panicked, have no fear.  I'll ALWAYS be a pastor, and I'll be employed as a pastor as long as God is willing.  But my life as a DJ?  That's where I'm not sure.  

I used to be a DJ on the side of school and college.  Often I'd have a wedding or reunion every weekend.  It was a good gig.  I enjoyed it, and I usually received quit a few compliments "Best DJ ever!"  But, as college came to a close and I went into seminary, I officially decided to call my DJ days to a close.  I gave away thousands of dollars worth of lights, lasers, fog machines, controllers, and speakers to friends in ministries that could use them.  The rest of what I kept went into storage for years.  No more DJ Kennedy.  It felt sad but good.  

Then, in 2011 it happened.  A high-school friend asked me if I'd fly out to Grand Junction to DJ his wedding.  I wouldn't need to bring any equipment, just music.  Okay!  I can do THAT.  So I re-entered the DJ world, but just that once.  But then, in 2012 it happened again.  This time is was my own wedding.  Why pay for a DJ when I already have everything we need?  I asked a friend to be the emcee while I dug my remaining equipment out.  It went great!  

It had been since my own wedding in 2012 until this year that anyone mentioned my old DJ days.  Then it happened.  My sister-in-law and her fiance wanted to know if I'd consider it.  Initially I said no.  I'm really not a DJ anymore...  Eventually I caved though.  I actually wanted to do it.  Shortly after saying yes to Emily, in a completely unrelated event, my best friend who used to help me DJ in high school and college texted asking if I'd be willing to DJ for his brother-in-law.  Of course I said yes.  Why not?  What could it hurt?  I've now DJed twice this year.  Both weddings went great.  The funny thing is I've barely married more people than I've been a DJ for!  Who would've thought that would happen?
So now my two DJ gigs are finished--the last one being just this last weekend.  My mind is still a little in DJ mode--that's a great song, I'll have to make sure to add it...I'll have to see what light to purchase to replace the one that went out...new microphones...need a dolly...  But now I'm faced with the question:  Am I done with this or am I a DJ??  I've already retired twice, and neither time stuck.  I do love DJing.  I am good at it.  But it's a lot of work.  I really don't want to put all my free-time toward this.  I work enough already, and I don't need the money...

It's a difficult choice.  What does God want me to do?  What will honor him the most.  I know the answer when it comes to that perspective.  While I may from time to time get out the equipment, I am happy to wish myself a third happy retirement!  


More to come!

Jason <><


No comments:

Post a Comment