Monday, September 28, 2015

Come On Church!

It's been on my heart quite a bit recently, and perhaps the best way to let it breath a little is to share it. I love worship, and I appreciate the chance to worship an various settings.  Recently however, I was struck by the words that often seem to have the most weight and energy within them during the song, and I'm not sure I'm too wild about it.  In fact, it may be one of the silent poisons the church is drinking that tastes great, yet leaves us weak and frustrated.

It's the focus on what God has done for me.  ME.  God is my redeemer, Jesus set me free, and I praise Him for what He's done in my life, for me.  I have always been aware that our current expression of faith and religious organization has been bent far more individually based than communal, just as our modern society has also grown.  Yet it hasn't bothered me much because the same God is still be praised and glorified, and in some cases, there is often much more accountability and intentionality when each individual is responsible for his or her own faith and relationship status.  

It most likely struck my heart recently as not being okay as I've felt the tug and push of the Holy Spirit calling us as Horizons, us as a family, and me personally to begin really pouring myself out to the lost and the least.  Project Hope (or extensive Orphan Care project at Horizons) is growing by leaps and bounds to include more children, we've set new long-range strategies at Horizons to grow more mature in the Spirit and lead all children and youth to Christ, and the emphasis about being vocal about Jesus with others has grown much heavier recently.  There is so much momentum and movement in the direction of pouring into others and fulfilling Jesus' great commission. 

BUT, it's difficult for a community to get behind this as our greatest goal and highest ascent when many of the songs we sing place what God has only done for me in terms of redemption, salvation, grace, provision, blessings, etc as the highest value and at the top of the journey.  It's quite possible after singing 4 songs with that focus to leave feeling fulfilled and thankful, yet entirely unmotivated to care about anyone else or feel a burden for the greater community that may still be wrestling with life.  Sure, making faith personal may be a great way to enter into a more intimate relationship, but ultimately, when there's so much pain out there in the world and so many being left behind, it should make us even more passionate about a relationship with a God who cares for those needs and not just my bad day

We need to consider the fact that God will always have a higher regard for communities than individuals.  From the very beginning, while God may have chosen one man to be the father of His people, God didn't choose to make a person for himself, but rather a people, a nation.  

MY CHALLENGE TO YOU THIS WEEK:  regardless of where you worship, is to change the words as you sing.  Amazing grace, how sweet thou art to save wretches like us.  Sure, it's going to feel awkward.  People may turn their heads.  But try it.  See how it instantly brings you into this great big community of people God has chosen to adore, heal, redeem, and bless.  

Amen!  More to come!

Jason <>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment