Monday, October 5, 2015

Your Bar's Too Low!

I'm a runner.  I enjoy running.  I run as often as possible (which is 2 or 3 times a week with my Pastor's schedule).  When I'm driving and I see people on trails, my blood flow changes.  BUT, I'm not a distance runner.  I don't claim that name, own that body, have that time, and don't have any of the right gear.

But, I love challenges and slightly foolish ideas, so I signed up for the Good Life Halfsy, which is now less than a month away.  I've been running as much as I can, hoping not to get hurt and hoping to enjoy the run over just finishing it.  In the process of training, I've been struck by the results.  My training goal for ANY run or climb is to get to 7-minute miles before the event.  Usually I barely get there.  For me, that's awfully fast!  With this in mind, I had no real intention of getting to 7-minute miles for a half-marathon.  Whew!

Yet here's the kicker:  for my longer training runs, I've decided not to map the route before running it so that I would focus on running for a long time, rather than trying to be fast.  Each time I've come back from my long run, I've stared at the screen in disbelief as I log my route and time:  7:41 min/mile at 10.6 miles... 7:29 min/mile at 13.13 miles...  NO WAY!!...  That's impossible.

I'm not a distance runner.  But as it turns out, I've been given the ability to run long distances.  After about 30 minutes of running, I find myself just running, just putting one foot in front of the other, just breathing like crazy, just talking to Jesus, just singing songs about His name.  After a while, I forget I'm running.  I don't feel like I'm running fast.  I don't imagine I look like I'm running well.  I just keep going.  It feels good.  But there's no way it's actually good.

The clock doesn't lie.  There are a ton of people who are significantly faster than me.  But what's happening in my own running life is happening to a guy who hasn't ever claimed to be who he's turning out to be.

I'm thinking about this on a Monday morning because this is the story of our leadership and Spirit-following lives.  Week after week I see leader servants from the Steering Team at church tell me they aren't speakers, that they don't speak well, and that they're completely uncomfortable come out onto the stage and offer thoughts and examples that simply blow us away.  Week after week I see people insist they aren't teachers, they aren't good parents, they aren't good leaders or administrators or fundraisers, only to find themselves in the place they insist they shouldn't be, doing better than they ever could've imagined in their role!  The problem is when we set the bar way too low.

But THIS is the work of the Spirit--in the places and roles we least feel comfortable or affirmed in.  This is when the Spirit says THIS is what I do in the areas you DO NOT.  In fact, I'm pretty sure the Spirit's most difficult task is to work in the areas where we already feel competent.

So you want to grow in the ways of the Holy Spirit in your life and faith?  Let your bar be raised.  Quit deciding what you can do based on your own ideas.  Let the Holy Spirit decide!


More to come!

Jason <><

No comments:

Post a Comment