Monday, October 29, 2012

They Cause Me to Wonder...

I've been a pastor long enough that I rarely can imagine what life would be like if I weren't a pastor.  It's what I know and do, and being in the ministry has mostly become the same as being alive.  All this is good!  I wouldn't have it any other way.  But from time to time, I still get those awkward squirms and losses for words when people are first told that I'm a pastor.  I love and cherish those moments!

First, people seem a little shaken.  Apparently I don't act like someone expects a pastor to act--whether they go to church or not.  I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea.  I don't swing from the chandeliers or throw out swear words like compliments when I'm not at church.  But I think people have the idea that pastors are or should be serious, pious, and separate most of the time.  I'm glad to offer the surprise that I'm not.  It helps the world see that ministry/Christianity is more about living life to the fullest and highest than to the greatest restraint.  Quite frankly, I've only met a couple pastors who thought that wasn't true.
Next, I often get the "look too young" card.  "Yes, I am pretty young," I say with a warm smile.  But I assure them that I'm not a good pastor because I'm good at what I do.  I consider myself to be good because I'm good at letting God do it through me.  Other than that, I assure them I have much to learn yet.  I think we all do!
Lastly, once we're made it through the first 2 awkward moments, the third, and sometime final phase sets in. I like to call it the role-play phase.  I know for a fact that we all have a "Christian" self that we put on in our religious settings and context.  Some of us feel the need to put on bigger selves than others--and it's not always because those are the bigger sinners.  Nevertheless, quite often when people find out I'm a pastor, suddenly their language changes and the topic changes as well.  Suddenly my pizza munching, game-frenzied new acquaintance becomes a refined theologian on the loose morals and values of today's society.  It's a little humorous to see the change.  Usually I play along, not needing to go to the depths of everything I've learned in seminary and beyond.  BUT...

All of these reactions help me remember and rediscover an important question:  HOW did I become a pastor?  WHY am I a pastor?  And what does it mean to be CALLED to still be be a pastor?  So this week, on Sunday, I've decided to share a little more about how it all started, and how I ended up here!  It should be fun.

 More to come!

Jason <><


No comments:

Post a Comment