Monday, February 24, 2014

Face-Hurting Smiles!

About a year ago, Sarah was asked if she'd be involved in a local program developed to help children with special needs work on critical movement skills through games and laughter.  Sarah immediately said yes.  Every Saturday she began playing, talking, and laughing with her young friends.  And every Saturday, she started coming back full of stories and smiles.

Not too long after Sarah started doing this, she was asked if she'd spend an extra hour on Saturdays coaching the Special Olympics basketball teams for their upcoming tournament.  Sarah genuinely knows very little about basketball.  But again, she quickly said yes and added to her Saturday and to her stories and smiles.

I have always been happy that Sarah decided to do this.  It's cool to see my wife's heart begin to flourish and to see her doing things she loves.  But Saturday mornings are usually pretty busy for me--premarital counseling, paperwork, etc. usually take my center stage.  Because Saturdays are pretty busy, I had never been to the facility or seen Sarah and her young friends in action.

But just this last weekend, the much-anticipated regional basketball tournament happened at Lincoln High here in Lincoln.  Sarah and her three teams were gearing up with the basics and supplements of the game, and Sarah studied the "actual" rules of the game to make sure she was up to speed.  At one point, Sarah asked if I thought I might be able to come to the games.  I quickly said yes, having already decided I could not miss this big event.

Sarah left early Saturday morning to get situated and get her teams together.  After a painful morning of organizing my pastor-tax mess, I jumped in the car to see the games and watch "Coach Kennedy" in do her thing.

It's been a long time since I've smiled so much.  It was easy, unnoticed, unhindered joy.  I watched haphazard dribbles, quirky passes, and shots that usually missed the rim and backboard, come one after another.  But regardless of performances, I saw smiles, determination, and pure enjoyment.  I watched a young coach with very little game experience cheer on her players and encourage them.  I watched as both teams often came together to make sure someone had a chance to shoot a basket, even if it took the player several repeated attempts in the middle of the game.  And as the occasional point was scored, I watched loving parents cheer and young athletes' faces light up.  There was very little ego on the floor; only a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction.

The games each lasted 20 minutes, and as I sat on the floor at the long end of the gym listening to the clock alarm announce the game's end, I realized how much my face hurt.  I had been smiling for 20 minutes at a time.  It was wonderful.  I fell in love with what Sarah was doing and in love with the joy of the athletes.  It was good to be there, and I left with a sore, but blessed set of cheeks.  Amen.


More to come!

Jason <><

No comments:

Post a Comment