Monday, February 10, 2014

Growing Up

Most of last week Sarah and I were in Denver.  Sarah was there with some of her classmates on a "girls retreat," and I was there for my winter Alumni Board meetings for my seminary.

Usually when I head to Denver in the winter or fall for my board meetings, I conveniently find time to head to the slopes or tackle a 14er (a mountain reaching over 14,000 feet in elevation) while I'm there.  Both skiing and climbing are my passions.  I dream about skiing more consistently than any other theme in my dreams.  It's what I do, it's something I feel I'm particularly good at, and these trips are typically the only chance I get to ski or climb each year.

But this trip turned out differently.  I chose not to go skiing.  It was amusing watching my usual skiing buddies  who still living in Denver struggle with my decision.  "Are you sure?  I can get you a $40 lift ticket!  You can borrow a pair of my skis that should fit perfectly.  I'll drive; you don't have to worry about that.  Do you just want to go back-country skiing and not pay the lift prices?..."  Choosing NOT to ski is pretty out of character for me.

But I gave them my reasons, and as I heard myself sharing, a particular delight came over me.  I realized I was making really good, healthy, and wise choices, even if it meant giving up something for a season that has been central to my identity since I was four.  I was taking care of myself and my family.  In that moment I was feeling awfully grown up!

These are the reasons I didn't go skiing this year:

  • Sarah and I will be purchasing a house this spring.  If we're truly committed to this, we need to let our savings show that.  It may be small, but $300 extra went into our house fund this week!
  • Life for Sarah and me is often quite intense in Lincoln, and simply moving from one intensity to another was going to be unhelpful.  Simply slowing down and being with friends appealed much more.
  • Sarah has only skied once before and wasn't terribly interested.  Actually spending time with my wife rather than leaving her for the slopes was a choice I really needed to make.
  • The temperature high on the slopes for the days we were there was projected to reach -2 degrees Fahrenheit.  Enough said. 

Although I had yet another skiing dream just last night, I'm still thankful I had the insight not to go this year.  There will be other times and days yet to come, and Sarah and I benefited from the time together.  Amen!


More to come!

Jason <><



No comments:

Post a Comment