Monday, August 18, 2014

4 to Life!

Sarah and me taking advantage of a reception photo booth 
This last weekend marked the final wedding of four in a row and several in a summer.  It's been great.  Sarah and I make an event out of each, pray for the couple, join them at their reception for the food and festivities, and do whatever we can to help each couple get on their feet with faith at their sides.  Plus, as I mentioned last week, if the scene is right, we dance!

So what's the best part about being the presiding pastor at a wedding?  There are two huge blessings:

  1. I get to be up close and personal with what the Spirit is doing and how grace is working in the couples' lives I've come to love during our time together.  Sure, more often than not, their faces still looked wrinkled and nervous as they listen to the words of the ceremony, but the intensity of being in front of those many people on such a big day gives little indication of the emotions and truths welling up within them.  I get to see underneath into the more realistic emotions of excitement, eagerness, gentleness, and joy.  I get to feel and sense the Spirit wrapping around each couple.  I get to remember all the grace that has already been poured into each couple's lives.  I get to remember how GOOD our God is.
  2. The second is in the phenomenon of how God chooses to grow us.  Little sense does it make in our world to grow stronger by giving your meals to others.  From a physical perspective, that doesn't really work.  But in a spiritual light, that IS how it works.  When I first meet with a couple, I remind them I've only been married two years and that I know little more about marriage myself than what a fortune cookie might (I enjoy my humor).  While God certainly has given me several gifts for teaching about the art of marriage, the best part is how much Sarah and I learn and are reminded of as I or we pour into these couples.  The more weddings I am part of, the more Sarah and I grow and learn.  If we're telling others to live in certain ways, we also need to pick up these practices.  James reminds us "My brothers and sisters, not many of you should become teachers, because we know that we teacher will be judged more strictly" (James 3:1, CEB).

And so, while Sarah and I may not have the perfect marriage (yet!), we are reminded, on a weekly basis, what we should be striving for, how we should hold ourselves to caring for the other, and just exactly where Jesus is and needs to be in the midst of our relationship.  

For that I'm thankful for each wedding, each opportunity.  And now as I come the the end of a busy wedding season, I say triumphantly, here's to four more added to our life!


More to come!

Jason <><

No comments:

Post a Comment