Friday, August 1, 2014

The Heart of VBS (2014) - Final Night

I think many of us can still feel the beats of the opening music, can still hear the shrill of excited screams, and may still be wiping some of the splattered slime from our VBS shirts from a week of awesomeness at Horizons.  This final blog from Troy Knox reminds us of what we did it all for and how it fills our lives!  Enjoy!

"What a weird church

Leading a bunch of antsy elementary students around to learn about God is weird.
Singing is weird.
Dancing is Weird.


I am sure there are several people that think I am weird all of the time but I am particularly weird one week out of the year - VBS week!
When else can I wear neon outfits, face paint, silly wigs and large hats and fit right in? It is so much fun to watch the kids singing and dancing their hearts out and hearing the sincere and innocent answers as they are asked about things like "God sightings".

The emphasis for this years VBS was weird animals and the fact that it is okay to be different or "weird" in your relationship with Christ.  I love the fact that I attend a church that not only allows but encourages me to be weird. I am also particularly proud of the fact that Horizons church itself is "weird". We had over 500 kids at vacation bible school; Bob, Karl, and John got slimed and crew  leaders chugged blended up happy meals all in an effort to make VBS fun, who does that??

Horizons does.

Thank God for all of the wonderfully weird people at Horizons. I am already looking forward to VBS  2015!



Troy Knox"


More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment