Monday, September 29, 2014

Always Being Remade

A couple events over the past week have reminded me this morning of God's constant working in our lives.

I'm first reminded that God isn't working in me simply to make me a better person.  It's easy to get caught up in that line of thinking, but the truth is, God is working on far bigger goals and against far more destructive evils than He is simply concerned about how good I am.

Put plainly, God is working in all of us, yes, in part because of His infinite love and capacity to care for us individually, but also, and primarily, because the work God does in each of us is done in the effort to build the kingdom, remove hatred, selfishness, and greed, and give birth to love that overcomes all.   In the end, what's done in us is for greater things beyond our own little worlds.

  1. The first event that has affected my life this last week, though it may sound silly, has been the repainting of the atrium.  Seeing the energy produced by simply bringing a fresh face to the interiors of our ministry has been powerful.  It reminds me of God's continual blessing of our ministry in the continued desire to use our church in and for the world.  Not only does God provide for us to paint the building, but God also washes our ministry in grace, truth, and life, that we might be energized in the season to come.
  2. The second event was preaching on fear this weekend as a reflection on Peter and John's work in Acts 3 & 4.  I felt led by the Spirit to teach on fear because of my response to other events in and outside of the church.  I learned a ton about fear as my heart prepared for Sunday.  And now, I'm seeing beyond yesterday's teaching how deeply fear has worked itself into the cracks in my life and heart.  In ways I never anticipated, I'm learning how many of my responses and interactions are based on fear of some sort.  If I am teach others about evoking the Spirit to remove their fear, I too need to ask for the same.  Remake me Lord, and wash me free from fear.  Replace it with your love.  
So here's to constantly being remade, just like being repainted, refreshed, reminded, reprimanded, and recast!  

More to come!

Jason <><


No comments:

Post a Comment