Monday, February 16, 2015

Famous at Home?


Famous at Home?

How Open are Our Hearts?


I am reminded of Jesus' famous words as he reenters society after fasting 40 days in the wilderness.  He has been baptized, he has received the full affirmation and testing of the Holy Spirit, and then he begins his formal ministry among the people.

After entering the temple, reading from Isaiah's scroll, and then proclaiming that those words were being fulfilled in front of everyone there, Jesus responds to their scoffs, gasps, and contentions saying "Prophets are honored everywhere except in their hometowns, among their relatives, and in their own households."

People see us and we see people differently when we know them outside the context of their leadership or notoriety.  While this can be a good thing, I believe Jesus was speaking prophetically to address the unwilling and unaccepting hearts gathered, there is a positive side to this as well.  When we know people in the fullness of their lives, we see all of who they are--their fears and fortunes, their failures and fantasies, their wins and losses, their struggles and their strategies.  For most of us, the fuller the picture gets, the more we struggle to honor the person before us or acknowledge his or her "greatness."

Yet, I was reminded this last week this doesn't need to be the standard.  Jesus was describing how things often are in order to speak truth into others' hearts rather than saying how things should be in order to speak comfort to them.

I was attending both meetings and conferences at my seminary (Iliff School of Theology) in Denver last week.  After our day-long meeting, the school hosted a leadership conference with many of my former classmates as presenters.  In my first appraisal of the lineup, my first thought was whether I'd learn much.  How much more could any of my classmates possibly have learned that I have? I mused.
Yet, preferring to be an optimist, I went to every session.  From minute one, I was blown away.  Here were my classmates, sharing their ministries, their walks, and their results, and I could hardly believe what exceptional leaders they had become.  My new muse became why didn't I think of these things?  These people are brilliant!  Then Jesus' words shared above came into my heart.  I thought to myself, just because these leaders are from my own "hometown" doesn't mean they aren't completely worthy of my time and attention.  I must honor and celebrate them!  I'll grow and learn more if I do!

So I did it.  I humbled myself, opened my heart, welcomed my classmates' teachings and wisdom, and congratulated each after their presentations.  Imagine if those who heard Jesus read from the scroll that day could have done the same.  They could've been on the front-line of the good news and powerful life-change Jesus was bringing with him.  They could've been the first recipients and distributors of Jesus' blessings.

Instead, they closed their hearts and scoffed.  Instead, they were left behind in their unwillingness to get over themselves.

I'm glad I had the chance to respond differently this time.  I hope I continue to respond similarly in the future!  This is my hope for you as well.


More to come!


Jason <><

No comments:

Post a Comment