Monday, March 9, 2015

Looking for a Sign

I think we're daily looking for signs in our lives--every time we wake up, before we go to bed, as we show up to work and scan the faces of our friends, co-workers, as we read or listen to the news, and as we face our challenges and uncertainties.  What does this mean?  How is this going to play out?  Am I going to be okay?  Why am I so blessed?

Our lives don't even need to be in turmoil for us to search for signs.  We simply do as a natural part of interpreting what's going on around us, where we're headed, and what God is doing in our lives.

This morning as Sarah headed down the driveway to meet her future employer and sign papers for what we thought was going to be part-time work that turned into a FULL-TIME offer!, I watched her leave and simultaneously saw some signs I didn't know I was looking for!

There in my yard, as the picture shows, were a half-dozen yard signs and some toilet-paper icing decorating our front.

While I refuse to jump to conclusions as to who my yard curators may have been, I'm going to assume this was the work of friends at church.  And, although I could make a short list of which groups may be responsible, I'm instead just going to enjoy my signs.





Thus, these are some of the signs I'm seeing this morning:

  • My front yard is a sign of the relationships I have at my church.  We love each other enough not to have stale formalities be the norm of our interactions--regardless of age.
  • Sarah's offer for full-time employment is a sign of God's grace.  We're no better than anyone else and deserve no better than anyone else.  Yet, God chose to bless us.
  • The time it took me to paint my own sign (see below) is a sign to me there are more important things than schedules, and there will ALWAYS be opportunities to respond with the joy Jesus has put deeply in my heart.
  • The rising sun and the promise of beautiful weather today is a sign of a new day, a new week, and a new season.
Many of the Jewish people watching Jesus teach, heal, and confront authority cautiously demanded he give them a sign he was truly the Son of God.  I too wish Jesus might have said, "Oh yeah!  I almost forgot.  Here you go.  Sorry for keeping you waiting," and immediately after do something miraculous before them no person or prophet could do.

...or wait.  Jesus may have told them in that moment the only sign they'd see was the same sign Jonah brought to the Ninevites warning them of their doom if they didn't repent, but the truth was Jesus was already busting out signs left and right--doing and teaching all sorts of things no one else could do.  

The problem was, few were willing to see those signs and accept them as glorious gifts of hope and affirmation.  Instead, most watched Jesus' signs and wonders and subsequently called him Satan, tried to stone him, or chased him out of town.

So today, take a deeper look.  What signs are before you?  What promises are they affirming?  


More to come!

Jason <><


No comments:

Post a Comment