Monday, April 29, 2013

Dare I Say "Spring?"

The seasons are finally, sort-of, changing from winter to spring! Clearly the change is a welcomed event.  Who could pass up on spring?

But I think we need to be careful about being held captive by the seasons.  The last thing I want is for any of us to get caught up in any season, and thus a period of our lives, where we spend more time wishing and hoping for another time than we do appreciating and enjoying the present time.

In order to avoid this, for me, when it snows, I love it.  I have to.  When it's cold enough to freeze the hairs in my nose when I breathe, it has to be a beautiful and delightful thing.  Likewise, when it's 109 and sweaty at 9, it's great; just as the dust clouds of dying leaves and bleak-becoming grass is something not to be missed!

But let's be honest:  spring is such a good thing.  Sarah and I bought and planted flowers on Saturday, ate lunch in the grass, and went jogging together.  This morning I was able to read scripture in the morning sun again, and we had cereal in the same place later.  I can't help but think that this is one of the best times of the year!

BUT, before I get caught up in the season too much and cling so tightly that I might be ruined when it comes to a close, I return to my previous stance:  it is good to be in this season.  God blesses us with opportunities in this time that come at no other time.

So, let us all be thankful for this season and live into it to the fullest.  But let's also not get so caught up in it that we are held captive by it.  Let us also look forward to the hot and sweaty days, the days of swimming pools, camp outs, fireworks, the perpetual smell of sunscreen and BBQs, and the excitement of Kingdom Rocks VBS!  We can't get there unless we finally let go of spring at some point!

Jesus clearly teaches us the same:  live in the season, love it, grow from it, and be prepared to move into the next.  After all, the church would've never come into being had the season for the Body of Christ to cover the face of the earth not come!

Here's to spring!! (and to summer, fall, and our glorious Nebraska winters!)

More to come!


Jason <><

No comments:

Post a Comment