Monday, April 15, 2013

Fun at the Auction

What does one take home from an action fundraiser?  Just this last Sunday (the 14th) Camp Oasis, a local church camp managed by Horizons' Susan Samuelson, hosted an annual dinner and auction to raise funds for campers fees and summer programming.

The evening is all about changing lives.  Mine was changed as well last night!

To start with, the only other fundraiser auction I've ever been to was last year's Concert on the Hill where we  auctioned items to support Jim Unger and his family.  That one seemed to go pretty well for a newbie like me.  I got what I wanted, had a little competition, and paid a price I was comfortable with.  With that one experience under my belt, I confidently marched into last night's bidding with a stride of assurance.  Let the fun begin!  I said to myself.

There were a couple differences in last night's auction that changed the results of my second auction experience that I didn't pick up on until later.  The first was that our bids were marked by numbers rather than by name.  No one would dare outbid the pastor.  But outbid someone else's number?  Of course!  The second was that I was surrounded by a much different crowd, most of whom I didn't know and who didn't know me.  That meant I didn't know what was "hot" and what was "not."

Ultimately, I went to the tables and found two items I thought were surely high-desire items:  a specialized therapy pillow with a revolutionary water bladder inside of it for firmness control, and a 30 day boot camp certificate with a high dollar value.  As I placed my bids, I thought surely these items will be fun to bid on.  We'll see how high they get driven up.  I was pretty sure, depending on the bidding appetite of the crowd, that I'd either walk away empty-handed, or perhaps with one of my items, if I was lucky.

Apparently, my lucky number 24 was more like the shepherd's staff in Moses' hand than it was the rancher's hand of oats to a group of horses.  The moment my number went down on the bidding sheets, the seas parted, and NOT ONE other bid went down on either of my items. I should have bid on the grill and the 20 fillet mignons!  I thought, as the host announced that all table bids were final.

I then texted my wife, who was unable to join me, to announce proudly that I had just spent 3 times our pre-agreed amount at the auction.  Gulp...

But here's how it turned out:  Sarah laughed and reminded me that all of this is to promote Jesus' name to children and bless a local camp.  I immediately felt better and held my head rather high as I went to retrieve my new pillow and boot camp certificate.  Praise God!  Let Jesus' name reign.

And so, with 4 liters now tucked inside of my new pillow, I had the best sleep I've had in a while, with much less neck pain.  I have no idea what the boot camp will be like, or whether I'm really qualified to attend, but I'm sure I could use some greater exercise disciplines, and perhaps I'll be able to share about my faith and church while I'm there!

So here's to God's anointing of my hand and my lucky number 24, and here's to God's miracles and the unhindered passion that flows through Camp Oasis and it's staff!

More to come!!


Jason <><

No comments:

Post a Comment