Monday, April 22, 2013

Only in Dreams

Most of us have dreams at night that speak to what our subconscious minds are processing while we rest.  Some of us have dreams that are visions spoken by the Holy Spirit to our hearts while we restore our nearness to God.  Many of us dream while we're awake as a way of setting our hearts and souls on the things that we see could be rather than simply living in the world that already is.  I've been dreaming quite a bit lately, and my dreams have been teaching me much.  So I share.

Recently, I've been dreaming about being in churches I've never visited, praying at weddings, swimming in deep pools I  can't get out of, and of hunting for worms with my dad before a fishing trip.  Those of you who have already begun to analyze my psyche, good luck!

But I've also been having other dreams about the realities that could be, and many have begin to share their dreams of the same nature with me.  It's breathtaking to see what God continues to lay on our hearts.  The truth is that the future is only what we are willing to lay boldly and faithfully before God so as to bring him honor.  But, in the midst of this, for anyone who wishes, chooses, or feels forced into a life of pragmatism, dreaming can feel daunting; forecasting the nonexistent future can be a staggering task.  I sometimes fall into that category.

But here's what I know:  when I am out in the community and I see the results of others' dreams, I have to stop myself from concluding that it is a fluke that something like that came into being and that things like that simply don't happen like they used to.  The truth is that when we combine our dreams of God's glory with the  hope of Jesus' promise, we will find an unstoppable force that often succeeds, regardless of the climate surrounding the dream.  Anything is possible with God.

And so, as we dream, I am reminded that the only way we can see our dreams to honor God become reality is if we already begin to live our lives and model our faith behaviors on the belief that the dream has already come true.

I believe that God asks us of this when we are encouraged to ask Jesus anything in his name:  dream to honor God, dream big, and live as though those dreams are already reality.


More to come!


Jason <><

No comments:

Post a Comment