Monday, December 16, 2013

A Party of the Heart

Last Friday Sarah and I hosted our annual staff party at our place.  I love getting together, if for no other reason, just to eat great food and get swept up in laughter, conversations, and games.

But I am even more thankful when the party becomes more than just a fun evening, especially when it involves company unrelated.

It's my firm belief that when planning a party, the host should plan easy outs for guests along the way in case the evening would go best for a shorter length.  Not every get-together needs to last for hours in order to be a success.  Sarah and I were sure to plan some of those outs in our evening.  After dinner and the gift exchange, I handed out our small tokens of appreciation to everyone and said my sincere thanks to a beautiful team.  After the thanks followed that moment when anyone wishing to leave could have easily done so without any hint of discomfort or abandon.

But on Friday, no one made a move, and the evening continued with laughter and sharing, until it actually got a little late.  As Sarah and I said our goodbyes and shared with each other about how great the evening was, we reflected on the beauty of the family we have in the staff and their families.  It's an honor to be a part of such a great team.

I imagine the disciples and Jesus were familiar with what this felt like, and most likely, to even greater extents.  The value of their time together went far beyond having a good time or a good laugh.  I imagine they too saw how God called them together, bound them tightly, and shaped them as one body with an unbelievable, life-giving task.  I imagine over time they too felt a tremendous care and compassion for each other that assured them that no matter where Jesus was, that God would always be present in their midst.

Here's to a great staff!


More to come!

Jason <><

No comments:

Post a Comment