Monday, December 9, 2013

Best Part of Christmas

Although Monday mornings are my preferred writing time, with Christmas in the air, anything goes!  Plus writing this evening has given me some good material!

I dined out with one of the Disciple Study groups this evening as they wrapped another year of studying.  Reclining in our seats after feasting on some of the city's best Mexican food, I asked my nearest table companion what he enjoyed most about Christmas, or what was most meaningful to him.  

His reply was that when he was younger, it was capturing the excitement his children exuded--watching their joy and their antics in pageants or unwrapping packages.  Now that he's older, the best part is getting together with his family.  

"How about you?" he asked.  I should be more prepared to answer the questions I so casually ask others.  Slightly stumped and unsure, in my deep-thinking, philosophical tendency, I paused, then replied:  "You know?  I think one of the most meaningful parts of Christmas is the gift of anticipation."  

Although many choose not to, I personally prefer to spend the entire time from Thanksgiving to Christmas Eve preparing, looking forward, and imagining the moments I know are soon to come.  The gift of anticipation leaks into every routine, every conversation, and most activities.  Because I'm anticipating that brief moment when all is still and calm (although not necessarily perfect and full peace) and the gift of love and redemption is at its fullest, I find that I begin living what I am looking forward to in advance.  

Ultimately, anticipation is what leads us to the practice of finding and knowing hope.  And so as we live into and beyond this current holiday season, I invite us to anticipate the things that are next, the things that God gives us to celebrate, so that they can begin to shape the living of all of our lives.  

More to come!


Jason <><

No comments:

Post a Comment