Monday, December 23, 2013

The Lighter Side

Sarah and I have a handmade felt Christmas calendar on our wall that my mom made for my family.  I loved being the first to the calendar when I was a kid, earning the chance to take the felt figure out of its numbered pocket and stick it to a Velcro patch on the tree.  It was exciting to see the tree fill up as we got closer to Christmas.

I have to laugh about how I approach the tree now.  I'm usually up a little earlier than Sarah, and so it is typically my privileged to place another felt figure on the tree.  But I've noticed my enthusiasm doesn't quite match that I had as a kid.  Although I am still thrilled to get closer and closer to our birth celebration, with every new figure on the tree I often wish we could slow down the days and that it would take longer for that tree too fill up.  Additionally, the tree serves as a sort of time clock, ticking down to the largest worship service of the year.  This morning our tree reminded me there's only one day standing between us and one of the best moments of the year!

And so, we approach Christmas.  And as I personally prepare for the day, I cling to John's gospel, where in the very opening lines, we are reminded about what this all means:

Love has come to earth.  Love that heals, grows, corrects, directs, redeems, hastens, interrupts, and embraces.  And that love, when given birth in our lives and actions, becomes the light that shines into the darkness, the light that shines a pathway from God to us, a light that shines real, pure, and brilliant life into our world.  (selections from John 1:1-18)

Let each day be full of light, even when the darkness feels twice as strong.  Merry Christmas!


More to come!

Jason <><

No comments:

Post a Comment