Monday, December 8, 2014

If a Beard Could Speak

When I first started wearing a beard that looked like a real beard a year ago, several asked me "what does Sarah think about that?"

The truth is, my so-called beard grew out of my pursuit for laziness during our 2013 Thanksgiving break.  It's good for my soul to live drastically distant, when on vacation, from my standard regiment.  Additionally, rather than shaving after Thanksgiving, I simply let the beard grow.  The difference is more than wanting or intending to have a beard, I simply didn't stop it from appearing.

How does Sarah feel about it?

Sarah loves my beard, and certainly more than I do.  I don't mind it, but I think it risks me looking more like a pastor that I may want to at times.  So ultimately, I wear a beard because it's more work not to have it and because my wife loves it.

But what would my beard say if it could speak?  I'm guessing it would say the following:
  • Moses had a beard.  If it was good for him, it's good for you.
  •  It's too late to go back now.  If you get rid of me, people will squirm in the discomfort of how strange/young/less "manly" you look without me.
  • You really should learn to love me, I make you look better, and many men would kill to have me.
  • Never mind the sparsely, randomly placed white hairs, it's a work in progress.  

So here's to the beard.  I'm learning to love it, and yes, if I didn't want to keep it, I should have considered shaving it off earlier.  

Plus, it's "Christmasy" and season-appropriate!

More to come!


Jason <><

No comments:

Post a Comment