Monday, December 15, 2014

Incompetent and Blessed!

It's a rainy Monday morning just 10 days from Christmas day.  Many people I spoke to yesterday were elated to have the "beautiful" weather.  I honestly think gray and soggy isn't too pretty, even if the temperature registers 50+.  But that's just me.  It might snow this afternoon.

Earlier this year I had the opportunity to spend some time with two successful church leaders in our denomination.  Between several of the conversations and questions my peers and I asked Adam Hamilton and Mike Slaughter regarding some of their keys to success, both responded with similar, deflating, and surprising recommendations:  as a leader of a growing church, the quicker you can admit and publicize your incompetence, the quicker you'll be able to grow.

Serious?  It sounds impossible.  Aren't leaders good at what they do?  Isn't that what sets high-capacity leaders apart?  How then can it be good in any situation to parade about in my inadequacies?
Perhaps it's different in the corporate world, but at church, where Christ is truly the head, this kingdom work isn't about weeding out the greats and putting the most powerful on top.  It's about becoming a stronger, deeper, more diversified community of tightly-knit disciples working together as a mass movement, heading in one direction.

That's when the church truly takes shape as an inextinguishable force for life, light, faith, and good.

I was most recently reminded of this yesterday afternoon as I drove out (behind schedule) to guy's home who is part of a great church family and two HOME groups.  Several men assembled yesterday to help him put up Christmas lights on his house in time for his children, grandchildren, and most importantly, his wife, who has been in the hospital with significant health challenges, arrived at the house.

While I was late to the light-hanging party and was feeling sad I hadn't seen the family since Tuesday, I knew it was going to be okay.  Where my incompetence and inadequacies in my time and availability have cropped up, a sea of loving, competent, church family members and staff have come pouring in.


As I pulled up in front of the house, I saw men everywhere, crawling like ants, working like elves, putting lights up everywhere.  I've seen a ton of these moments lately.  It's beautiful.  It's the church, the body of Christ.  It didn't get to this by my special abilities, but rather my single ability to admit and publicize my shortcomings!

Praise God for being inadequate.  That's when God is the strongest!


More to come!

Jason <><

No comments:

Post a Comment