Monday, December 1, 2014

Even Bo's Coin is Double Sided

My sources tell me it was somewhere in the 2nd part of my message yesterday (11/30) that texts and messages begin pouring onto the phones of those in our 9:30 service.  The buzz was announcing Coach Pelini's termination.  Being fully consumed already by my tryptophan-tied, turkey-tired tongue that was making it difficult to pronounce words correctly, I hardly noticed the interruption.  

But, between services, I was made fully aware of the latest news--the rumors and high-expectations had won.  Nebraska will be seeking a new coach.  My immediate response was disappointment.  Being at the head of an organization that is largely out of my control, but largely under my responsibility, I have a heart for those leading sacrificially, even when the fruit of the labor is hardly visible.  I'm not equaling Pelini to a pastor, but I am certain the pressures and the challenges feel similar.  

Guessing that our second service might feel a little distracted unless I could respond somehow to the news, I shared my disappointment about the fickleness of our society.  It took 700 years for God to fulfill His promise of the Messiah's coming.  The Jewish community (as a whole) did not give up.  On the flip-side, however, it took a coach seven years to build up a good team and coaching program, and we decide it's too long; it's time to go a different route.  I'm concerned we're degrading the meaning and power of hope if we only have the capacity to let it live a short time.  Some things simply take time.  

Yet, the motivation behind today's thoughts is ultimately NOT about whether Coach Pelini should have lost his position or not, but about continually being willing to challenge ourselves by looking at both sides of the situation.  Before we too quickly decide the world is exactly as we see it at first glimpse, I invite us to rain on our own parades and go deeper.  Strong leaders and admirable people of faith alike will take the time and effort to look at the other side of the story, even when it hurts.

The other side of the Pelini coin?  

While many feel the coach's time was cut short and the criticism against him too staunch, leaders who fail to make big moves in order to pursue their visions and directions will ultimately fail to honor their roles as leaders.  The very nature of leadership, whether in the religious or secular field, is to go where people aren't already gathered and bring others along.  Leadership is not simply to go where most people already are and dance in circles.  It's been said that in regard to the competitive nature of university education and the pursuit of excellence, any school wishing to stay on that continuum must be willing and able to make tough calls in order to get to the next level.  In other words, it's difficult to get to the other side of a chasm if we're unwilling to release our stronghold on the side on which we're already standing.  Pelini's departure is UNL's attempt to make a leap forward.

And so, at the end of this, I can't say either way exactly how we should look at the situation or what it truly is a sign of.  But I can say that we should slow down and challenge ourselves to grow in our understanding before we too quickly jump to conclusions and base many of our subsequent choices on those conclusions.  We'll be better leaders and stronger people of faith if we do.

More to come!


Jason <><




No comments:

Post a Comment