Wednesday, July 30, 2014

The Heart of VBS (2014) - Night 3

Today's thoughts come from a preschooler volunteer Alicia McCune about how VBS transforms adults hearts just as much as the kids'.  Enjoy!


VBS 2014

When I was asked to blog about VBS so far, to be completely honest…I really wasn’t feeling it. Somewhere through the rush of the day, my heart had hardened and felt heavy. It felt like I was going through the motions, struggling to get amped up to lead my “shorter friends”, the preschoolers, in songs.
Taking few seconds in the bathroom, I prayed that my heart would lighten and for God to lead me through the night. I needed His words, not my own.

I headed back into the worship center where the worship team was already bringing the house down, always my favorite part of a VBS night. As I stood in the back and looking around the room full of kids a thought took over my head.  We are planting a seed or maybe nurturing what God has already started. We are laying the foundation of faith. Who knows where a child’s life may take them or where the path may go, but VBS is laying a foundation of faith for them to fall back on when life gets hard.



Leaving the worship center and trucking it back to the room that’s now become a second stage for Dance USA, another thought hit me. When I think of all the volunteers that it takes to run a night of VBS, everybody has their niche.  Everyone has a role that they fill, or a gift that they bring that helps make the night successful. Maybe it will take a few years to figure out where your spot is at VBS, but know there is a spot. Derek and Liz maybe second-guess my role when the Congo line gets crazy but feel this is a good fit.

As the evening came to a close, one last thought came: When it’s all we can do to just show up, it seems that’s all God needs… He takes it from there. With every beat of the songs we sing and get crazy to, he finds us where we are at and through everyone coming together he lifts us up. As the music started last night, the worries and stress of the day faded, it was replaced by love and energy. It’s tangible every night, permeating the week of VBS.  Each night it’s as if we are letting go of ourselves and getting more of our God in. I really dig it J


God bless VBS :-), Alicia

More to come! 

No comments:

Post a Comment