Wednesday, July 29, 2015

VBS BlogFest Night 3!

The energy and presence of the Spirit continues to flourish at VBS.  We are thankful for this that we love and live.  Today's thoughts come from Lisa Butler!

VBS is a Verb!

We are smack in the middle of The Best Week of the Summer!  People often think about VBS as the week during the summer when kiddos can get some God and have a good time doing it.  Volunteers may see VBS as a time to serve those kiddos, their families, and the Kingdom. They also get some God and have a good time doing it.  I suspect the volunteers are learning right alongside the kiddos. I know from personal experience that the kiddos' families are getting a pretty good dose of God on the way home each night. The kiddos have been learning about God's power; I have been fortunate to witness it.

My volunteer position allows me the opportunity to listen to other volunteers and to the families visiting the church.  What I hear and what I see are indeed "God sightings!"  Not only are the youth and adult volunteers building connections to the kiddos, they are building connections to each other by sharing silliness, laughter, song, and exhaustion.

In my conversations, I hear about people growing.  They share their stories -- what I would call faith journeys -- about how Horizons' VBS is so different, so outrageous, so raucous, so joyous, so exciting, so welcoming.  With a light in their eyes, they talk about how they didn't know that church could be like this, that God could be like this.

I observe people encouraging and leading others on their faith journeys.  Young people who were in my crew years ago who are now shepherding their own crews.  Adults who hadn't walked into a church for a long time (or ever) before they brought their kiddos to VBS, and who are now volunteers just as zany as the rest of us. These folks are telling their stories to others who are walking in our doors for the first time.

I often imagine the early church was like this, too, so filled with the Spirit that their faith became action.  Yes, we jump in the house.  Yes, we ear-splittingly proclaim, "Jesus loves!"  Yes, we spin in a new direction.

The Spirit moves.


This is how -- this is why -- we VBS.

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment