Friday, July 31, 2015

VBS BlogFest Night 5!

Horizons VBS 2015 has come to a close, and we now celebrate the tremendous work that has been started and completed for the glory of our God and Savior.  This year we again had record registrations as we matched last year's top number of 544!  56 children formally received Christ during the week.  2,150 meals were collected for families hoping to keep their children nourished during the weekends.  And never in the history of Horizons VBS have we invited as many friends during the course of the week.  It was beautiful!

Today's post comes from Jill Knox, who volunteers during VBS in the nursery and toddler area and is a part-time staff member in the nursery during the year.  Jill says it all--this VBS thing is REA, whether God's working in the craziness, in the less noticed hallways, and in the areas completely behind the scene.  AND, God continues to work through VBS each day following, even if the decorations and nightly parties are now behind us.

God's Working, for Sure!

When VBS at Horizons rolls around, there is a buzz in the air and excitement all around. The amount of time and energy that goes into planning and preparing for VBS is nothing other than extraordinary! As kids start arriving and volunteers are scurrying around it seems unreal that it has all come together. There is a small group of kids and volunteers that hang out seemingly in the background. When I first experienced Horizons VBS, four years ago, I was "in charge" of the nursery and toddler rooms, and I still serve there now. I initially felt like I was missing out on the excitement. I mean, all the "fun" was happening in the worship center. God has a way of sending us messages and that first year he was talking to me. We may be a small group and we do stay out of the "craziness" that happens throughout the church but there is no doubt we have FUN experiencing God in our own little ways. We tell stories, we sing songs and it seems that these little ones certainly wouldn't pick up on God's message but a few days into it, the kids are jumping, dancing and singing along to the songs. There are hugs and high fives and smiles all around. This year was no different!

The other night as I was running around and not spending as much time with the kids as I would like, I was handed a tiny infant we were caring for and it made me pause and look around. I had to sit down and watch what was going on. What I saw was nothing short of God's love being poured out into these little hearts by the amazing volunteers and the kids having a blast. I think God was saying..."here is your God sighting, slow down and enjoy it". Although a lot of folks don't see us in the nursery and toddler room, I like to think we are helping God plant the seed for future VBS's to come. Getting the kids excited about coming back and moving up to the "big kid" room the following year. As I watch kids pass along in the hallways, I see a whole lot of kids that have passed through those nursery doors. Every once in a while they stop to give me a hug and a big smile comes across my face.

As the night came to an end, I was back in the halls watching some of the decorations being taken down. It made me sad that the excitement was ending and the fun was over. As I reflect back on it a few hours later, I realize that is not the case at all. VBS is just the beginning. It is the beginning of someones journey with God, it is the beginning of new relationships and renewed friendships. Seeds were planted and I know the buzz for next year will already be happening.

Thank you Horizons, thank you volunteers, thank you kids and parents but most of all...Thank you God for all you gave us this week. I needed it!


Jill Knox

More to come!  <><


No comments:

Post a Comment