Thursday, July 30, 2015

VBS BlogFest Night 4!

If you weren't at Horizons' VBS night 4 last night, it may be hard to conceptualize how something already so good could get even better.  But night 4 proves that it can and does get better--better than we can imagine!  The energy was high, our leaders were enthused, our numbers leaped forward for attendance and meals collected, and the Spirit was very present.  Last night, 56 kids committed their lives to Jesus and invited Him into their lives!  This is a true and beautiful miracle, and it's the reason we do this every year!

Today's reflection comes from Heidi McInerny about how this crazy energy and full Spiritual presence in so many things at VBS have a way of taking a hold of our hearts and leading us into the next and best of our lives!  Enjoy!

It's the Music

I remember my first Sunday at Horizons.  It was in April of 2006, and I was pregnant with my second child.  I remember how friendly everyone was as we walked into this new environment, how inviting it felt, and most of all, I remember the music.  The music is what brought us back the next week and the next.  I never knew I could feel God’s presence so profoundly through music.

Fast forward a couple of years to a Horizons VBS…..  I stood in the back of the worship center watching kids dance and sing to that year’s VBS music. They were so fired up, they were yelling, screaming, dancing, laughing, and loving on a God I obviously new nothing about.  I. WAS. IN. AWE!!! I wanted to know this God, this God that accepted this kind of craziness.  I knew I had to be part of this. I had to have this relationship with God and with all of these kids that made loving him look so easy.  Again, it was the music…

Now here we are, night 4 of VBS 2015.  Again, I stood in the back of the Worship Center watching in awe as 500 kids sang and danced.  I too, was singing and dancing and feeling such love in my heart for all of these kids.  Goosebumps rose on my arms and legs as I let the sound of their voices run through my head.  Tears stung my eyes as I looked around and smiled.  I wondered… Do these kids, these incredible kids, have any idea of how lucky and loved they are by this God that has brought us all together?  Probably not, but that’s okay.  They are here.  They are dancing.  They are singing. They are laughing.  They are loving on one another.  They are alive with God’s Spirit, I see it in all of them. 

I know that there will be kids who will be so sad when this week is over,  I will be too.  There will be kids who will beg their parents to come to church on Sunday, mine will too.  There will be kids singing those VBS worship songs throughout the coming months, remembering the incredible time they had at Horizons VBS…. I will be too!  And again, it’s the music…

-Heidi




No comments:

Post a Comment